22 March 2005

We all love politics

Politics have such a negative connotation, and can't we see why? I should say here that I'm not talking about Bush, Martin, Blair, Sharon, or any of these world leaders. I'm talking about the regular politics of our lives. You know, the politics that govern with whom we spend time, whom we ask to do what tasks, to whom we grant honor. That kind of politics. Often politicking seems a menial exercise that frustrates people who have to "put on the dog," reenforces people who have too much dog put on already, and ignores people who need more dog. Last night, however, I think I saw one of the best examples of appropriate politics that's been around in awhile. Though I rarely agree with extravagance spent on worthless politics, I participated with a music group to perform before a group at a banquet last night. Was this banquet for all the up and coming, all the staff and faculty, all the big donors? No. It was for the people who labor in the ministry, for those in our community who give of themselves freely, for those unsung heroes in and among us who really deserve it. (Of course, the powers that be were still there.) In a place that often tests my patience with political practices, I was impressed to see some "just" politicking going on last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is comforting to know that your patience is tested at the place where you work.