04 October 2005

Salvation

Hi, everyone! Yes, it's been awhile. Many things have happened...at least in the Brewer family. :) Sorry, Mark, but I'm glad about Emily's first steps/marathon. All I've done is to travel. I love admissions!

Okay, here's the deal. Communion is such an important thing for its lack of excitement in many churches. I am convinced that we've allowed something strange to happen in our worship. When participating in the Lord's Supper, we were asked to do it in remembrance of Christ. We do this. How do we do it? We talk about Christ's death and resurrection, remembering what happened way back when. That's what salvation seems to be to so many people - something that happened way back when. While Christ's death and resurrection happened way back when, salvation was not a one-time thing. Salvation did not happen simply at the death and resurrection without any further action on the part of Father, Son, or Spirit. Truthfully, we are still being saved. Today God is saving me through Christ by the Spirit. Today God's power forgives me, redeems me, restores me, and frees me for powerful living. Today I am being saved. When Christ told us to practice the Lord's Supper in remembrance of Him, was He talking about remembering Him as an individual, or was He talking about remembering Him as an eternal saving agent? Should we remember the action without remembering who the Lord really is? No way.

6 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

we would love to meet you in Greensboro. Just let us know when you will be down and we will try our best to get down there. Email us or call.

Heather Durkee said...

Hey if you need a place to crash in Roanoke if you do decided to come that way we have a spare bedroom.

b.rando said...

stop by if you're in ontariairyo.

i like you're perspective on communion and remembrance being of God's saving actions here and now. good stuff.

Jason said...

Amen & Amen...glad to see the enternal continue-um of our conversation...

still processing

Kate Patterson said...

Amen!
Lynn I enjoy your insights a lot! Say hello to Natasha for me! I miss you guys, I really enjoyed hanging out with you guys at the end of last year. See you soon, in January! Miss you Two.

Sween said...

Yes, I think there's a lot of rewiring that needs be done in a lot of our theologies. Escatology is a big one but I think on-going soteriology needs its revamping.

I've been reading on the wonderful scholar by the name of John Stott in his work on Romans. (SLUUUUURP - that was a coke by the way). In any case, it would be more proper to answer the question, if asked, "Are you saved" to say "Yes and no". But I would not want to mistake the "yes, I have started the process of regeneration" and "No, I haven't been saved from the coming wrath and delivered into sinless glorification yet" to be two distinct one time events, but rather that we are continually putting to death the flesh nature. This may not be wesleyan-Arminian, but it speaks to my experiences loud and clear.

Thank you for challenging thoughts like that, Lynnyrd.