18 October 2005

Spiritual depth

What ever happened to spiritual depth? I guess I shouldn't be so extreme with that statement, but I can't believe how shallow Christian "depth" can be sometimes. For example, why on earth would a parent ever dedicate their child to the Lord if they know deep down they would be upset if their child ever went far from home or (gasp) entered God's full-time ministry? Seriously, when did going into ministry stop being an honor? I feel as though ministry is a great calling, a very high spiritual honor, a humbling responsibility. I'm pretty sure that there aren't many people like me anymore. Even testimonies of those pursuing God's call often start with, "I never wanted to be in ministry, but I guess I had to." I've spent a lot of time in Christian schools lately, and I've been shocked that NOT ONE student in a CHRISTIAN high school feels led to ministry. The profiles I've been handed by guidance counselors talk a lot about being accepted into schools and being "as good as public schools."

It seems to me that we're walking a fine line. Christians don't want to be called anymore; we don't want to go out on a limb for God. (Yes, I know that all you BBC students are arguing with me in your minds right now because most of you are the exception.) We don't want the world to look at us and say, "Christian schools aren't as good;" "Christians aren't as smart or successful;" or "Christians don't make enough money." What?! None of those things has ANYTHING to do with our faith. Seriously, Christians, where are we dropping the ball? We've traded truly knowing Christ for a "relevance" that has more to do with being worldly than with connecting with those around us. Is this why Christ asked whether He'd find anyone faithful upon His return?

2 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

this is about the communion post. good thoughts. i liked them. salvation is huge. can't get around it.

i also think Jesus was reorienting Passover around himself, showing his holding the entire vocation of Israel in himself.

b.rando said...

hey lynn,
i appreciate your thoughts about ministry and all...

one thing that stuck out at me, and that i have tried to reconcile in my own mind, is that ministry is a calling for every person who is a servant of christ. ministry is becoming a servant to those around us, and this should be done by every christian in every vocation. why then do we hold "vocational ministry" in such high regard? really we are just another christian doing our best to serve those around us...it just happens to be in a leadership role. as such it is no more sacred than any other vocation...just different. the true christian faith is a faith in a God that created, loves, and redeems all aspects of our lives, and that includes our vocations. being a carpenter can be just as sacred as being a priest. it's about our hearts and actions serving God by serving others, not about what we do for a living.

so i guess this is a "be careful" from a friend that our high regard for the ministry God has called us to doesn't result in a lower opinion of the vocations God calls others to. i think it was your "very high spiritual honour" phrase that got to me...it can too easily lead to "i have this honour and you don't, therefore what i do is better than what you do and/or i am better than you" i know this is not your heart...

that's my two cents...