28 February 2006

Border

Who knew that crossing borders could be so difficult?

1) I entered Maine from Milltown, NB, last Wednesday night - you know, the little border crossing on the way to BGR. I told the guy I had only the bags he could see, nothing in the trunk. He wanted the trunk popped. I struggled with our broken glove compartment and gave him the key to open it the old fashioned way. Imagine my surprise when he asked what the bags were. Ah, yes, the bags of clothing for the sharing club. Oops. I got to pull over and go talk to the US customs.

2) Today I entered Abbotsford, BC, from Sumas, WA. Everything was fine until the Canadian customs official alerted me that I, as a Canadian resident, could not legally drive my US-plated rental vehicle into Canada. I got to pull over and talk to the Canadian customs agents who told me, "The cops will fine you a lot of money for driving, but I don't see another option. Go ahead." I drove the speed limit and was more defensive than ever.

3 comments:

jen said...

Oh, you were in BC... I miss BC. You'll have to tell me all about it next time I see you. :)

Heather Durkee said...

Yes they can be a pain. However, i did know that about rentals as we accidently drove one into Mexico.

I am glad borders don't rule our life anymore as we dont' even live near one anymore. i grew up near one all my life and everytime I go into another state, i accidently prepare myself for customs. Its weird.

Whalen said...

I crossed the border at St. Stephen last night and also has the pleasure of talking to Canadian customs. They told me the same thing about driving an American car and being a Canadian. Good times for sure.