07 February 2008

A Week

It's an interesting feeling to be just over a week till the due date. (I know what the ticker up there says; our date moved from 13 Feb to 15 Feb months ago, and we never updated it. We figured, what's two days?) I'm not the mother, so I won't try to express any of the thoughts, emotions, or physical sensations going on with Natasha. However, as a dad who already loves his unborn baby and talks to her regularly, this next week (or more or less) are going to be crazy. I can't wait to hold this baby, but I can't even imagine the labor experience. We've received tons of advice and have read up, but this is just another thing that we won't really know completely until we go through it. I'm supposed to be the birth coach, but what do I know? I know a lot about what the three books I've used have to say (and some from another book), but I still don't feel like I know anything. Yet, I look forward to it wildly!! I have no idea how to be a dad, but I feel like I'm already on my way and have something in me that just kind of "knows." Every day I think, "Will today be the day I get the call, that I am awakened, that I am - whatever - with the news of labor?" Sometimes I think that's great, other times I think, "This is not the time. Just let me get one more thing done." When it's all said and done, who cares how much I get done? We have a fine home for our little daughter, we're trying our best to prepare ourselves as parents, and (most importantly) the Lord is faithful and good and will be to our little one. What's not to look forward to?! Still, I'm stressed. (For those in gen psych, that would be both eustress and distress in one stressful ball.) :)

LE

6 comments:

Dena said...

So excited for you both and can't wait to hear the news. As far as not knowing what to do...neither does Natasha. You will both learn together. Just remember the best thing you can do is stick by her side and respond to her cues. You'll both do great!

Heather Durkee said...

what an exciting time!

I pray that God guides you with His awesome grace and that He will grant you peace during this time.

we love yah!

Lor & Josh said...

wow! It's time! I pray that you both have the strength, grace, and joy of God in the coming week (s). May baby Erskine bring you closer to the heart of God for both of you as Abba!

theajthomas said...

Having babies are great - don't listen to all the people with horror stories of delivery and labor. I think it's some of the most fun you can have. Being a dad is alot of fun and it's pretty easy. Exhausting some times but not rocket science. Love every minute of it a slack off at work as much as you can for the first little while. Will you have the baby there in Truro or down here in Halifax?

Erskine said...

We're planning on Truro. :)

theajthomas said...

In that case I take back everything I ever said about labor and delivery. My experiences were based on being in a world class baby having institution. I'm not sure if the witch doctor up there even has a table in his mud hut : )

Actually a baby Dr from my church starts work up there sometime soon but probably not for a few more months.