16 December 2004

Number One

How do people do it? How do people move through life in a quiet existence, frightened of friends, community, their own shadows? There is no one to encourage their good points, no one to have fun with, no one to make them think. There is no one to challenge a wrong, no one to sit alone with, no one to vent to. Aren't we all longing for two or three people we can call up anytime, talk to for an hour about anything, and hang up without worrying about the other person's thoughts or emotions? Don't we all want a group that will climb mountains with us (sometimes more literally than others)? My heart is light because I feel I have that tonight. I'm not alone as I sit by myself typing, and I'm overjoyed!

4 comments:

Judy said...

It is strange to think that people could wander through life lonely, cold, so far from other human contact. Most times those people have been burned by another and feel they can't do it again. That's why we are here, followers of Christ, to love those people shamelessly, fearlessly, unconditionally, completely. What a great thing...to love another as Christ loved me!
Amen, brother...amen.

Jason said...

Most often is is those who are unwilling/able to make that first step waiting on us, who have the presence of mind to wonder why they don't, to make the first step. God has wired us differently. Some us are able to put ourselves on the line to meet knew people, and at times we don't because we are either too good for them, of feel they can't offer anything to our lives, so we miss out, and they sit alone, while we ponder on why they don't move out of their zone.

Alison said...

Do you ever read Streams In The Desert? Well, if you can get your hands on a copy (I know there is one in the library if they'll let you in, maybe you can even find it online) you should read the entry for Dec. 19th. As soon as I started to read it I thought of you and this post. It's all about someone to share the climb with and why that's so important. The author echoes your thoughts, but adds a little too. Definitely worth a look-see :)

Erskine said...

Guys, you are all very right about this. I especially like what The Roach (love the nickname) had to say. Many times we are longing not to be alone, but we can't make that first step. Why is that?