06 March 2006

Next Opinion

It should not matter whether we "get something" out of worship.

1) We don't usually mean that we're getting nothing out of worship. We usually mean that the music, preaching, and meeting with the group of Christians did not have a particular result. Generally, we mean that we didn't really worship at all.

2) Worship isn't about us. When we make it about God, we tend to "get" something, yes, but that usually doesn't come because we wanted to get something out of it. God blesses when He is glorified and can move freely among His people. (Yes, I know that no one can limit God if He wants to move. Does He really want to move where He's not welcome?)

3) Is God really not worth worshiping if we "get nothing" out of it?

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Wes just did a sermon on this Lynn! I try to be mindful that "It's not about me". It's all about Him. So many times I've heard "I got nothing out of worship this morning". It frustrates me so much. Because I attended Bethany and had the privelege of sitting under A LOT of different teaching and preaching and worship leading styles I found I became more of a critical of preachers/teachers. That was so wrong of me because it's not about me! Worship is a lifestyle. I believe we worship the Lord in many ways. It's important to remember that it's not about us and remember whose authority we are under...

Mommy of Four said...

Rick Warren talked about that in his book "The Purpose Driven Life." It really is amazing how many people walk away from a service and say, "Nah, I didn't get anything out of the worship..." I can't believe how obvious that sounds, and how few people actually realize that it's not about THEM...hence the term "worship."

theajthomas said...

I think worship is overrated.