02 March 2006

Opinion #1

I am not a fan of Sean Hannity. Generally, I'm not a fan of Rush Limbaugh either, but I'm afraid he's right about Mr. Hannity when he says he's rash. Messrs. Hannity and Limbaugh are like me in that we all generalize and judge. If the two of them are fair game on each other, why not join the political pundits?

1) Mr. Hannity attacked Hilary Clinton on his radio show last evening for her recent involvement in the port security issues in the US right now. He said that she was only interested for political reasons and had no historical basis for her sudden interest in homeland security. He cited her silence when communist nations controlled both ends of the Panama Canal after the US relinquished control of the canal under Bill Clinton. Another democrat was called for his opinion but was not allowed to give it. When the democrat began talking about Ms. Clinton's participation in port security bills since 9-11, Mr. Hannity balked, accusing the democrat of changing the issue. While Mr. Hannity has a point in questioning Ms. Clinton's prior silence, his guest was correct when he said that was before 9-11 when the world didn't take such extreme measures to avoid terrorism. Regardless of the past issues, Ms. Clinton is a completely different politician now than she was in 1996 as the First Lady. Mr. Hannity was just picking at an easy target.

2) Mr. Hannity also attacked a guest on his show who mentioned his preference to call in the police force and firefighters in the event of a similar attack on his home city, San Francisco. "What are the Marines going to be able to do after an attack?" asked the caller. Good point. Mr. Hannity took that as an attack on the US Armed Forces and President Bush. The guest was as surprised as I was that the comment could be taken as such. Were the Marines there to stop an attack, I could see Mr. Hannity's point. Otherwise, the police force and firefighters have done a lot in crisis situations and will be valuable to the city.

The moral: Too much talk radio on a long drive from Bangor will get you fired up and mad at people who put issues where there aren't really issues and who put principles before people.

4 comments:

matthew said...

haha, good moral

i used to listen to those shows a lot, but i don't anymore. i think rush limbaugh, however, is a brilliant communicator. he can hold my attention for the duration of his show without really saying much that i'm interested in.

Richards' said...

Hey Lynn, this has nothing to do with what you wrote.. could you let Natasha know that I am still very greatful for her voice! I play the chorale CD for Gabby, and she calms down when she hears Natasha sing... it is so cute!

Erskine said...

To clarify, I'm not saying I don't listen to him; I'm saying that I think he's as rash and judgmental as the people he judges so rashly. (I sound like a hypocrite right now.)

Alison said...

I happen to love Sean Hannity, I think if nothing else he offers a decent moral view on things. I'd rather listen to him than most anyone else on the radio. I agree with your moral though - talk radio on any long drive simplu fires you up. But I'd rather be fired up listening to talk radio when I'm in the car by myself than simply be in the car by myself.