19 April 2005

Back Home

You know, it can be very difficult not to be "back home" when you feel like you need to be there. I received an e-mail from my sister that reminded me of a lack of spiritual formation she has at home. Don't get me wrong. She lives with my dad (mostly, with some time at mom's...the proverbial joint custody thing) who is a strong speaker and a good pastor. He has been part of spiritual formation for literally hundreds of people in his lifetime. However, things are very stressful at home. My sister feels as though there's no one to support her spiritual walk or her call to the global mission field. Fortunately, I'm aware that I'm not the answer. God is. (Praise His name!) I do wonder, though, why it seems so difficult for pastors' homes to be full of peace and spiritual security? Why does there have to be new trauma every time I call home or go home? I guess we all have this story. What's yours?

1 comment:

Heather Durkee said...

Lynn, I believe that the hard things in our home only makes us stronger and develops our character more. It makes us rely on God way more instead if we just walked through the rose garden all the time. You know my background and I don't think I would have grown as much in the Lord if things weren't so hard. I had no one else to turn to. Keep praying and trusting that this situation could be turned for good in your sisters life and your family. Pray that she could be the light (I know that your family is Christian but she can still be an example..)and that it would help her grow closer to the Lord. Public school and a rough upbringing has helped mold me into the person I am now. Christ ultimately does the changing, but during hard times in high school and home life, you learn really who you are going to serve and which direction you want to take your life. I knew that I wanted something different and am trying to change that in my family life now. Your sister is strong... I have seen it, and the Lord will keep proding those that he wants for His kingdom buisness. Its seems to me that she is open so trust God to do the rest!