03 September 2006

Woman


Men are from Mars, women are from Venus. Men tend to think in their caves, while women tend to feel in their wells.

These are gross generalizations that I'm going to rail against so that I feel less like a woman with the picture I'm about to post.

Yes, I love the movie "Pride and Prejudice." I do. It's well done. It's the quintessential "chick flick," except that it's a cultural experience rather than a teeny-bopper B-film. The music is tops, as is the acting. The story is beautiful, and I love the characters. Reason 1) Piano music. I totally bought the soundtrack today. 2) Natasha and I are a lot like Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. (Pride and stubbornness run rampant in our home, all under the guise of doing the right thing.) :) 3) Natasha and I are deeply in love, whether we admit it or whether we fight. No matter what, we are deeply, madly in love. In those times when we "fight" we still love one another deeply enough that the passion in the fight is actually a passion of love. In those times when we enjoy one another, it's as if the entire world fades away (think the dancing scene). With our families we think only about one another. And it was the realization of both our prides that brought us together in the end (November for me, for example. Elizabeth hip-checked me into Natasha on the way back from Grand Manan because I wouldn't talk to her otherwise. Thanks, Elizabeth!) I feel overwhelmingly happy, delightfully romantic, perfectly happy ever time I think about my Mrs. Erskine. Mrs. Erskine. Mrs. Erskine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! ;)

His Beloved said...

awe! you guys are so cute! i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this movie and i have laura mitchell to thank for it! i read the book this summer as well.... *sigh* hopefully someday i'll find my very own mr. darcy....instead of living vicariously through a book/movie. :)

Heather Durkee said...

Erskines=forever saps!

Well, we were glad when you finally did get together. It took you guys a while!

Judy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy said...

I ADORE this film, and have been reading the book for the first time.

*sigh*

I might also add that the movie has become a borderline obsession for me! I could watch it almost every day...not healthy I know, but I'm NOT sorry! It's a great story!!! I'm a romantic at heart. I think everyone should love this story.

I also must join in your praise of the soundtrack. I've thought of purchasing it, but can not justify the expense quite yet. Maybe my birthday...coming up soon

Jo said...

yeah, it IS a cultural experience, I agree Lynn. Definately worth spending money on. But better to read the book first!

Unknown said...

I do agree Jo, I wish I'd read the book before I saw the movie. Although I think the movie would not have been quite as enjoyable for me then.

The book has been wonderful so far however.

Anonymous said...

Then be a strong Mr. Darcy and help your wife solve the fly issue ;)

Lor & Josh said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. you realize this is my favorite novel, movie, and imaginary man of all time you're talking about, right? As soon as I saw the picture when your blog loaded on my computer I gasped and my heart skipped a good seven beats. then you go on to talk about tasha and how you love each other and I'm reminded how I'm blessed every time I see you two together because you are a picture of a whole, freed in Christ marriage which lives out submissive, thoughtful, humble love and then you say "mrs erskine" repeatedly like Darcy does of his beloved Elizabeth in the movie and NOW I'm forever ruined for the day and will be gushy and weepy and dreaming of the romantical, unable to write or babysit as I must. thank you for the post, mr erskine! :)