07 January 2005

Deep Thoughts

You know, I used to think about deep people. They always seemed to have more together than anyone else. Then I started being grouped in the deep category. I never felt I had it all together. I never felt I understood. In fact, many of my deep thoughts came (and still come) out of questions that have no answers, circular thought patterns. Maybe deep people aren't all they're cracked up to be. Maybe deep people are just confused people with enough self-control not to be labeled with some psychological or emotional disorder.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I think you're on to something there. Or maybe "deep people" have the same thoughts as everyone else, but express them better than the rest of us? At any rate, I said all that to say that I'm enjoying reading your blog today. You are a stud and don't forget it.

Erskine said...

True enough, Whitey. Deep people definitely seem to say it better. Maybe they're the people with the courage to explore and talk about deep things. Then again, some people with that courage are more self-righteous than deep. LRE

Erskine said...

I'm going to make a distinction between simple (simplistic) and simple (common) here. I mean the former from now on when I write "simple."

On the contrary, I think simple people have an uncanny knack at thinking through deep issues and bringing them into practical living. Common people are those who move from thought to thought, issue to issue, rarely thinking about what they're doing. My friend Brew is simple (abookmark.blogspot.com). I've had amazing conversations with him, and his life teaches me. He's deep though. Another friend of mine (nameless to protect the innocent that some of you know) drives me crazy in his inability to connect the dots between his conversations. It's as if his thoughts at the time are his real thoughts, regardless of how they interact with his other thoughts or others' thoughts. He thinks he's very deep. He's wrong. He's not even simple. He's shallow with one hope: to be considered deep. Thus he lives a convoluted life. Do you know when he really is deep? He's deep when he forgets that he's trying and lives as himself.