12 January 2005

Love, part 2

This blog isn't another sappy "I love my wife" blog. (Let it be understood, however, that she is the best for me that I could ever imagine.) This blog has much more to do with other people. I have been overwhelmed with love for people today in inexplainable ways. I'm not talking about romantic love, obviously. I'm talking about a deeply abiding love for people that results in care and compassion. I'm talking about perfect love. Am I perfect? NO!!! (Since most of my readers know me well, then you know that by now.) I am growing into perfect love, a truth being made obvious to me today. Thank the Lord, since this is the first time I've had a glimpse of this in months. It feels good to allow the Lord to change my heart for loving people.

2 comments:

Cindyisms said...

Hiya! I read your post on my friend Daniel's blog and wanted to read more of your thoughts. Romantic love is a truly beautiful thing, and a blessing I've been able to share for the past two years. But that perfect love, that's something we've had in us throughout our creation and existence (I think). We've demonstrated and experienced it through the course of our lives without nearly recognizing or being aware of it.

As empathetic pre-schoolers who'd give their crayon to a classmate who is crying over the brokeness of their favorite purple. As high-school students who'd cheer on their friends and peers, regardless if they were in the in-crowd. As teachers, doctors & nurses, volunteers of all ages, waitresses, smiling bus drivers, the friendly cafeteria lady and of course, certainly more, a love full of kindness and compassion is overwhelmingly everywhere and in so many forms.

Sometimes we have a bad day and end up spreading our grumpiness. Sometimes we have been so hurt by other people that we either close ourselves off or worse - we take on the habits that have hurt us and exercise them on someone else, anyone else. During our strongest and weakest times, throughout the heartaches and rejoicing, God is with us, He is in us. He fosters our needs and heals us with Himself because He is perfect love.

Erskine said...

Knowing I have the capability to love perfectly feels good most of the time. Those times when I see that capability while loving imperfectly...okay, not loving at all...are times when I feel awful. That's why I'm grateful for God's grace that transforms my life. One of these days maybe I'll publish my testimony on here. It might interest one or two of you.