17 January 2006

Entire

Why does the word "entire" throw people off so much? It's a normal part of the English language, one that we rarely think twice about. Put it with the word "sanctification," however, and walls are put up in our minds, wills, and emotions.

I think walls go up because we honestly believe that "entire" (meaning "wholly") and "sanctification" (meaning "being set apart") means something other than "being wholly set apart." Many of us have come to a point at which we've realized our need to be wholly (or entirely) set apart to the Lord. We pray, "Father, make all of me yours. I don't want to be called a Christian then act my own life. I want to be called a Christian with all of me living for you."

That's entire sanctification. Yes, it's a crisis. No, it doesn't mean any of us is perfect. (Yes, we can get into much more elaborate theological nitty-gritty. It will give you a headache, though, so trust me on this one.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting that your blog is complete?

I don't think I get it?

I'm totally thrown off ny your title...

You sound like a liberal Wesleyan. Everyone (I mean everywesleyan) knows that entire sanctification means absolutely godlike perfect: Meaning no mistakes period. Just like Jesus.

From other BBC blogs I've read, I'm guessing it's either holiness week ot that part of the semester where we learn about the doctrine of holiness...

Just remember luke 20:30 "The second."

jen said...

Huh. I've never heard 'entire sanctification' explained that simply. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard it explained, at all. Thanks!

Kate Patterson said...

Can you come teach DOH... the class would be a lot shorter and definitely not full of crazy insane questions all the time. Anyways Good word!

matthew said...

I think it's a troublesome term b/c it is an elastic term. It can mean 'set apart' and it can mean 'holy/purified'.

I can choose to be wholly consecrated, but only God can completely purify me. My part is surrender. His part is purification.

When I struggled with the term it was b/c I was thinking of sanctification as God's part...and who am I to declare the status of God's work? I can only declare my entire consecration.