13 February 2007

Availability

Natasha has gone again. It's for a very good reason, and I'm extremely proud of her. She is in a position right now to be available for many good things the Lord may bring across her path. She's able to help a good friend in a time of serious need right now. She's mentioned different opportunities for involvement in the church and community when she returns. She sits at home so often, but when I come home she often has stories about calls with people or Bible study time. There's something to be said for availability. She's quickly becoming one of the busiest people I know, but she's available for the Lord. She says, "No," appropriately, but she's available.

Why all this wife-praise? It's not fundamentally about Natasha, is it? It's a question that burns in our hearts at times: Why am I not more available for the little things the Lord prompts me to do? I suggest that we allow our circumstances to dictate our priorities, regardless of how we verbally list our priorities. To few of us (meaning me) place ourselves before the Lord with open availability for His service. We think of that needy person down the street who could use groceries. Then we justify our inactivity by listing our bills. We think of the widow at church who just wants to tell someone her story. Then we remember our own story and say, "Some day." We feel that little prompting somewhere in the middle of our torso that tells us there's more, but we sit back and take another Tums. Our jobs won't allow us to leave in the middle of the day to minister to someone. Our schedules won't allow us to take a few minutes and build community. Too few people have reached out to us, so it's better just to go home and think about the community we wish we had. We list our actions, call ourselves available, then go to bed at night feeling okay. While Natasha is human and doesn't do everything right, I'm challenged by her availability. She made herself available, and everything she's doing within a nine day span fell into place. She'll be here this weekend, having accomplished more eternally than many of us do in a month. Again, this isn't about her; it's about our availability to God. It's like Scott always says, "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I follow your blog regularly. This post has convicted me beyond measure. May your wife continue to be available, and may I learn to say, "Here am I Lord, send me."

Luke said...

Lynn!!! I love the Erskin's!!!!!!
I"m sorry that your wife is gone again, but I have been encouraged as i read your blogs. Love yah man!
luke campbell