21 February 2007

Ever changing...

I (Natasha) have have been meaning to post this for a while...

Lynn preached this past Sunday for the first time at IBC (Immanuel Baptist Church). It was incredible. It was another one of those experiences when I sit back in awe of the man I fall asleep beside every night.

Lynn is constantly growing and changing. But sometimes, I miss the change taking place. It's subtle and deep within him - not easily noticed on the outside. Suddenly, he'll say or do something that is totally different from something he would have said or done before! He thinks, "What? I've always been that way!" But I know the truth. The truth is that Lynn has mastered something that few people can claim. He keeps looking at Jesus; as he looks, he's slowly but surely being changed into His likeness.

Being the "godly" woman that I am (sarcasm noted), I sometimes wish Lynn would spend more time looking at himself :) - you know, when I want him to change something on demand :). My pushiness often encourages his stubbornness, and for a time he might refuse.

But in all his stubbornness, he keeps looking at Jesus. So before we both know it, it happened anyway!!! Isn't that amazing?

I've observed that usually the things I want Lynn to change about himself are areas that need to be strengthened in my own life. For example, I am much too often focused on the areas in myself that need to be changed rather than accepting them as part of my journey and just looking at Jesus. When we trust Him with our salvation (from justification to glorification), the changes will always occur. And instead of being done out of a fear of not being good enough or something like that, the changes will take place out of love and gratitude in response to His love and salvation.

I guess we are ever changing.

3 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

Sweet.

Erskine said...

Wife, you are quite something. Fortunately for both of us, I realize this post isn't really about me. It's about something that only the Lord can do - strip us of our fears, stubbornness, and all that other garbage for the privilege of growing in Him. Still, I like it when you make me sound way better than I am. (See, I do look at myself.) I love you forever!

Unknown said...

I'd like the husband to change his laundry habits/routine, not because I'm weak in this area -but because my routine is better and he doesn't follow it, which in turn drives me crazy, which in turn I will make sure drives him crazy.

Does the Bible have anything to say in regards to organizational habits and laundry routines? (Lynn you must surely know!) I'm hoping maybe I've overlooked something all these years that can be gently laid open upon the pillow of the opposite side.......

:)