05 April 2007

Politeness.

There are many unique characteristics of our little town, Truro. Lynn and I are discovering them more and more as we become accustomed to the culture and traditions here. Though I would love to tell you about the many unique tree sculptures, or the interesting history and religious traditions of the town, I will save those for another day. Today, I'm going to talk about "politeness".

What is politeness? It refers to the mannerly behaviors of a community, in healthy relation to one another. Though my perspective is limited, I have observed this to be a very high value in the town of Truro. Being historically part of a "Bible Belt" area, it has strong roots in religious traditions (there I go talking about it...). Over the years, however, as our pagan nation has grown and developed, the town has evolved in its pagan culture. Thus, we live in a pagan community rooted in religious values and traditions. The result is politeness.

Here is an example of the complex pagan/religious culture of Truro:
Driving along, one will undoubtedly come to a four-way stop intersection. These are very common in Truro. Often, when coming upon these intersections, one will encounter some other Truronian in opposing root. Being a very polite community, whoever arrives to a complete stop first, graciously waves the other to go ahead first as if to say, "No, please, go ahead." The other, however, will respond likewise, "No please, you go ahead." After several of these interchanges, eventually one does move forward.

These exchanges are quite common, and frankly, irritating when traveling through town. Lynn and I have often thought, "This is getting dangerous!" The other day, I arrived to a complete stop at one of these four way intersections at (what appeared to me to be) the same time as three other cars, each at another stop. No one moved ahead right away, so I thought, "Okay, I'll go." I moved forward into my left turn (blinker clearly on!), when the car opposite me began moving straight ahead (as in directly i to me). I stopped and nodded apologietically while the other moved on through. I then continued my turn only to find that the car I was coming up alongside at my left was giving me "the finger" and swearing at me! I thought, "This is absurd!"

The poor man in the car is NOT an accurate reflection of our friendly fellow Truronians. However, it seemed so ironic to me. Somehow, the value of politeness in town was not upheld by me moving ahead first. Then, however, it was appropriate to cuss? ...interesting.

So what do you think of politeness?

(Natasha)

3 comments:

Dena said...

Not to be a black-and-white person, but this is a clear example of why we have a little thing called right-of-way. Politeness is a wonderful thing, and many people could stand to practice it a little more, but when it comes to the point of being confusing and dangerous...? C'mon.

Anonymous said...

OK. You have just described "Roanoke Driving Foolishness #14" ! I am fighting the temptation to fully describe the other many examples of driving foolishness (which I have promised Heather I will do on her blog one day), but for now I will just join in your dissatisfaction with the way things are in this situation. The problem is that it is not "pure politeness" (the selfless kind), but rather a politeness that is rooted in selfishness. How is letting someone else go first a selfish thing? Because by breaking the rules of the road in this way, you're slowing down the person who is waiting behind you. Not only is it your right of way, but it would have been theirs in a few turns. Now they will have to wait a few more turns.

You have pushed one of my buttons. I will try my hardest not to dwell on this much longer this morning. Thanks for being in unprompted agreement.

Erskine said...

Adam, you're only encouraging me. :) We had a conversation with some friends of ours the other day. They pointed out something I've found very interesting. Despite a few exceptions who are likely genuinely polite, it seems as though it's a contest to see who is most polite. Very, very, very strange. We're just grateful for the people we know who are genuinely polite. (Though we've seen few of those people drive.)