19 April 2007

Repetition.

I read the most amazing thing the other day about repetition. It wasn't really about repetition; it was actually about joy. It is found in John Ortberg's book, "The Life You've Always Wanted".

Ortberg quotes G.K. Chesterton in regard to children and there innate ability to do the same thing over and over again with the same amount of enthusiasm:

"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again'; and the grown up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never gotten tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, but our Father is younger than we."

Isn't it refreshing to remember that God is the most joyful being in all creation!? Can't you just picture Him exulting in the sun's glory every morning? Many of us would sit and describe how the universe moves and how the earth circulates around the sun, thus causing the impression that the sun rises and falls, when in reality, the earth is just spinning on its orbit... God set things in motion and now it moves on its own.

Truth be told, we can find just as much joy and creativity in the Lord by studying science. I have great respect for those who worship through such scientific research and study. But I also love being a child! When I wake in the morning, I love it when God says, "Good morning, my child!! It's about time you woke up! See, I have risen the sun again today! Today, all creation sings praise to My Name! Today, the Son is glorified once more because His mercies are new again today!! Today, the wind of My Spirit will blow to and fro and no one will know where it is going or where it will stop. Are you ready to come on another adventure with me today, My child? An adventure into the wonders and mysteries of God?"

There are so many facets to my God; but I think His joy is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, though, it may be the one characteristic that goes most easily unseen...

God show us Your boundless joy and the truth of Your Word that says, "the joy of the Lord is my strength"!!

(Natasha)

5 comments:

christy said...

I enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing! His joy truly is our strength. Bless you!

Unknown said...

We need more recipes...we need more recipes...we need more recipes.....we need more recipes......

Dena said...

What a sweet thought. Our God truly is amazing!

By the way, did you type that whole passage by hand, or did you scan it or copy and paste from something else? Props to you if you typed it all out! (And a ditto on Kristie)

Erskine said...

I actually did type it by hand. I don't mind doing that, though I'm not a very good typer. I can type fairly fast; but it's not proper, so Im prone to make a lot of mistakes :)

Here's the deal on the recipe situ: We just aren't in our own kitchen yet! We're still house sitting and we don't have any of our recipe books or tools we're used to. We're also spending as little as possible for saving purposes (for the house!). So most of our creative meals involved canned tuna in some form or another :) Would you like cheap creative recipes with canned tuna? If so, we'd be glad to share. We actually find them very yummy!

Anyway, we'll try to get better at adding new recipes :)

Thanks for your comments!
(Natasha)

jen said...

The beauty of this post is in the painting of a picture through your words... Thank you for sharing!