30 May 2007

My thing.

I am a very passionate person, but tend to keep that passion under pretty tight reigns... when I can. However, there often comes a day when I encounter the thing... and suddenly passion begins to take over...

Life is moving along, there are dishes in the sink, the floor is filthy, my bathroom is filthy, and drying laundry is draped all over the house... no problem. We are having some financial stresses and have some uncertainties regarding the future... we're still okay... but then, out of the blue, there comes that one thing that pushes me over the edge. It's that one thing that makes me say, "Okay, that's enough! Lord, it's time to intervene!"

Right now I have a thing. It's the toilet. For some reason, I am incapable of flushing our toilet. I seemed to flush it fine from January through April, but the past few weeks, I find myself incapable of flushing the toilet. I'd like to think that it's not me, that it's a recent problem developing with the toilet flusher... but no. Every time I flush it makes a water-swishing sound and then... nothing. Lynn however, can come in the bathroom, press the flusher, and all is well. But no, not me. I am incapable of flushing the toilet. The worst part about the whole thing, is if it doesn't work the first time, then it takes another half hour to refill so I can try again. What am I supposed to do? wait for a half hour just to flush the toilet? or leave the toilet unflushed hoping that no one needs to use the washroom within a half hour, if I even remember to come back to it?

The long and short of it is, the toilet's flushing abilities have little if anything to do with it. It jut happens to be my thing right now. I've always remembered one of Pastor Kevin Matthews sermons at Moncton Wesleyan that talked about this. I don't actually remember any real spiritual content of the message; but I've always remembered that if Pastor Kevin has had a bad day and comes home from work and walks into the kitchen and one of the kitchen cupboard doors is open, then he loses it. He just can't stand when the cupboard doors are left open. But it's not really about the cupboard doors, it's about everthing else that happened earlier in his day.

So what do you think? Do you have a thing?

(Natasha)

My thing is not always a toilet problem... hopefully they're too rare to consistently manifest themselves in a season of distress...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! I have 'things' too - it varies from time to time. But one of the biggest is:
When laundry is not completed from beginning to end. ie: I'm switching over my freshly wet laundry into the dryer only to find a big wrinkled ball of clothes sitting there that were not folded and put away after being dried. argh....
(I won't point fingers since there are only 2 adults in this house....ahem)

Sarah Beth said...

I have "things" too. Of course I can't think of any in particular right now, but yes, things can be bad in many places that are much worse than the "thing", and I am dealing with them all, but than something much smaller comes along and becomes the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I wish I could think of examples. Actually, cupboard doors do bother me, or things being left on the bathroom counter. Oh, one kind of random one that for some strange reason has really bothered me recently is the bathroom mat. It has two sides, the one with the tag, (the wrong side if you will), and the one without the tag, (the right side). Of course it hangs on over the tub with the right side up, so when I put it down to use it, I pull it off and set it on the floor right side up. Ryan, puts it right side down. I don't even think he notices that he does it, and I haven't bothered to mention it to him because really, who cares what side it's on when it's on the floor, but if he uses the shower before me and it's wrong side up, I have to flip it right side up before I get in or I'm too bothered.

Owen said...

Right now the most prevailing is a complete freak out if I have to wait for more than 7 minutes for my train to come, ok- it's really 5 min. I know I'll have to wait, I do it every day, but if I've had a bad day I start thinking about moving out of this confounded smelly crowded evil city.

I don't really think I have anthing around the house. I've trained myself to believe that it's Luke's house and I've promised him that I would not comment on his method of doing things because I'm not contributing at all.