25 November 2005

Several Posts

You know, so many posts have gone through my head in the last few days that I can hardly figure out what to write. I'll go with several thoughts, and you just read (or not...this is becoming more for me than for you, selfishly). :)

I was moved by someone this week that I hardly know. There are just certain people that have become a major part of my life without much conversation or interaction at all. Case in point? Josh McCracken. We seldom talked at BBC, and we spent time together less frequently. Yet, he was on my heart for almost three years with the type of burden that wouldn't let me look in his direction without praying. The result? I still pray for him at least once a week, each time I think about him in Central Asia. Another one? Tom Cann. I've talked with him a few times, but our paths seldom cross. He's just a wonderful guy, and I knew that before I met him. There are other guys like that (not girls, oddly enough), but I'm not going to list them on a blog that I'm discovering has a small cult of readers. I don't want someone's feelings to get hurt just because God never burdened me with you.

About the cult of readers, I know that most of you are just blog junkies. That's okay - I'll accept that.

Another thing - I was within a breath of backing out of the Christmas banquet and community Christmas show this week. Then I remembered that it's not about me. (Why do I still have to be reminded of that so often?) It doesn't matter that I don't feel like giving up ANOTHER weekend for some noble college and community event. The community event is actually a ministry, and the Christmas banquet is just plain fun. Once I stopped being selfish I realized that I really do want to be part of everything.

Finally, what's the deal with families? I was feeling a little guilty for being away from home on American Thanksgiving without calling my parents, siblings, and grandparents. Then I realized that's just the Erskine way. When was the last time any of us remembered to call another one of us on the right day? I think Ben and Lynn (brother and his wife) are the only good ones at that. The rest of us try hard. Funny thing is, we still love one another deeply. So many families call all the time and can't stand one another. Weird.

No comments: