13 August 2006

A Big Difference

There's a big difference between affirmation from the Lord and affirmation from the world. The world measures affirmation against things like performance and achievement. For example, I received some very positive affirmation from some coworkers recently regarding the sales God has provided and my transition into that job. For most people that would seem very good - at first. At the risk of walking a very fine line with cynicism here, I didn't really appreciate the positive affirmation I received at work. I was affirmed for high sales because I was making the company more money. I was affirmed for my credit performance because I was making the company more money. I was encouraged to increase my PA (work term) percentage so that I could make the company more money. One coworker has been friendly to me since I've taken people through the end of a sale that he started because I'm making him more money. Another coworker pulled me aside to provide some coaching because he wanted to be sure that the money distribution was fair. Understand me; big numbers and making money aren't the issue here. The issue is that affirmation based on money, numbers, performance, and achievement is empty. VERY empty. (It's one thing I'll never miss about the admissions world, though BBC was good about affirming spiritual development on most occasions.) When the Lord affirms He does it in a way that makes you feel full. He reminds you that He's right there, that He's the one behind the performance, that He's the one driving you to achieve. The things we achieve with the Lord have eternal value. The Lord isn't as fleeting as business, numbers, and "obvious" achievement. He is eternal; His is our yesterday, our today, our forever; He is perfectly consistent (though very unpredictable). I LOVE HIM!!!!!

1 comment:

Sween said...

Hmmm... I think you have something applicable there. Could explain the currnt state of things for me personally...