21 August 2006

Under Attack

For those spiritual fanatics (like myself) out there, this is actually not about spiritual warfare. Natasha and I actually had a very relaxing walk earlier today. We both had the day "off," so the walk was part of our plan to do nothing. Ordinarily the railroad path made ATV trail behind our home makes for an uneventful walk aside from the occasional loon or bald eagle. Today was another story....

Today Natasha and I had a showdown with a skunk. A real skunk. The kind of skunk that had enough power in its tail to make up for its size disadvantage. There we were, walking back toward the house when we noticed him. He was no bigger than a small cat, except his tail. I might not have noticed him, but Natasha said, "Uh-oh," and his tail went up in warning. Now we all know that animals react like that when they are scared. Or at least that's what our mothers told us. This one may have been scared, but that tail up was a warning. We stopped dead in our tracks, but our pursuer pushed forward.

I began planning our not-too-hasty retreat when I noticed something. Our skunk friend was looking for a way off the path. He didn't want to cross paths any more than we did. The trouble was, we were in a heavily planted area. He couldn't find an escape! So there we were - us and Saul the Skunk. Saul, nosing along for an escape, moving closer and closer to us with his ominous tail. We, standing still as if we weren't 30 times this animal's size, knowing that anything we did to defend ourselves would result in a tomato soup bath.

I took a step back when Saul came within ten feet of us. Saul, however, had found his exit! He went into the brush to the side of the trail. Natasha and I looked at one another and I asked, "Should we run?" Natasha, who had by this time stepped behind me in bravery, agreed. With all the courage of two brave warriors under attack, we ran past Saul's exit, lest he lay in ambush. We were not sprayed today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTL that Saul didn't have Sabrina, Sadie and Samson laying in wait to forge a full-on ambush as you past his "exit" from the path.

Erskine said...

Well, if you could see Sabrina, Sadie, and Samson up and down Main St. in Fort every night, you wouldn't be surprised to find that nature-loving Saul was the only one on the riverside ATV trail today. We only wish we would have had such a close encounter with Lenny, Larry, Louise, Lola, and Lyle, the five loons we were tracking down the path earlier in our walk!

Anonymous said...

Was it you I had an alliteration discussion with recently?

Anonymous said...

Lynn
YOu should of grabbed it and killed it with your bare hands!

From
The Irish Immigrant
(hint:_______ Nation)

YouthPastorChic said...

Lol... that was an awesome story Lynner. I'm glad to see that you and Natasha escapted Saul and that you didn't have to enjoy a nice tomato soup bath :) Haha... I love it!

Heather Durkee said...

Thats what you get for living in ME. Move to the South...NOW!

Jo said...

Yikes! I'm so glad the Erskines escaped.

Jo said...

also, it's refreshing to read something not quite so pietistic lynn. more nitty gritty posts average joe posts please! :)

Erskine said...

I'm glad everyone enjoyed Saul so much. I hope never to see him that close again. Since someone finally brought it up, I'll let you know that my pietistic posts have actually been a response to something the Lord was doing in me. I feel released to be a little more personal on the blog. Still, bear with the pietism when it creeps up. :)

Liz said...

Saul is sooooooooo shy. He's a lot like is mother, Stella. But what a heart breaker, eh? Did you hear that he broke up with Sarah? She was DEVESTATED!! Poor gal. Our good friend Sherman was NOT impressed. Infact, i don't think they've spoken since. Sherman is
T-I-C-K-E-D!!

Jo said...

Lynn, just to clarify, I was not chastizing you for your pietism. I am glad that the Lord is doing things in you.

I just like to know about the silly things/fiascos as well. :)

Erskine said...

Oh yes, Jo, I know you weren't chastising. We've known one another long enough that I understand the word "piety" isn't negative coming from you. I was telling Natasha tonight that you're likely one of the most pious people I've met - in a good way. Your piety is expressed through a love for God that acts in stewardship, social justice, and sensitivity. I don't feel chastised at all!