21 June 2006

More Experiential

Most of my posts lately have been about things coming directly from the Bible. This morning's post is more experiential. The most recent Engage meeting had us all split up into small groups to discuss a lot of Colossians 3. Our group was fired up at the concept of taking off the filthy rags of sinfulness and putting on the righteous robes of God's love. I had decided to put on God's love through literal motions. I did that Monday and had a great day spiritually. Yesterday I forgot about it and had a marginal day. I didn't recognize the presumable "coincidence" until I prayed this morning. I prayed today, putting on the cloak of God's love first. Then I put on the armor of God. It's remarkable how differently my spirit feels this morning! You don't have to tell me that Colossians 3 wasn't talking about literally taking off and putting on of garments. However, this tangible expression is making me think through that prayer literally. I strongly recommend it. (Thanks, Lor, for leading that great session!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have learned that, by putting on the full armor of God DAILY, I can take an immovable stand against the powers of darkness. If I am immovable against the powers of darkness, then I must be firmly in the power of the LIGHT. That's right where I want to be every day, and so every day I must actively put on each piece of the armor...the FULL armor of God.

I definitely see the difference between the days I remember and the days I forget.

And so today, I take back the victory, joy and and power that Satan has tried to steal from me, and I put on the full armor of God. I stand firm with the Belt of Truth buckled around my waist, with the Breastplate of Righteousness in place, and with my feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of Peace. I also take up the Shield of Faith to extinguish the fiery darts of the evil one. And I take the Helmet of Salvation and the Sword of the Spirit...the Word of God. And I will pray in the spirit on all occasions throughout my day. I will remain alert and continue to pray for all the saints.

Thank you Lord for using Lynn to remind me of this today. Bless you today, Lynn, and stand firm against tne powers of darkness.

Lor & Josh said...

:) you and I both know the Holy Spirit led that session.

PS, Elizabeth suggested a Beatitudes Bedazzler machine for your line of "Blessed-clothing." That would add the necessary offense of accessory, no?

Erskine said...

Okay, I went from being blessed in the Spirit by Elizabeth's comment to laughing out loud at the two of you for coming up with the Beatitude Bedazzler. That's amazing! I had thought of the Spirit Sequined Sachel, too, so there are enough offensive accesories to go around.

Speaking of the Blessed Clothing, I need to go put on my God pants. This morning hasn't started out so well....