12 June 2006

One Way We Learn to Fear

When I think of fearing the Lord, I tend to think about honoring and respecting Him for His greatness. I think of a service I was in once in which Steve DeNeff proclaimed the might and splendor of the King from various Scriptures like Isaiah 6 and excerpts from John's revelation. I think of His ever-presence, eternal knowledge, and boundless power.

Then comes Psalm 130:4, in which the psalmist writes that God offers forgiveness so that we might learn to fear Him. Think about that. Rather than keeping an eternal record of our wrongs, God's inexplicable love is behind an offer of forgiveness. In the face of God's wonder, His majesty, we begin to feel pretty small and unworthy of a relationship with Him. Yet, He knows us intimately and offers us pardon from our unworthy shortcomings. Indeed, He will redeem us from every kind of sin (Ps 130:8).

This knowledge - that God is far beyond our comprehension and ability to live well AND that He knows us and willingly pursues us for a lasting love relationship - inspires me to fear.