12 June 2006

Worship at the Temple

What do you think of the Temple dedication in 1 Kings 8?

I think at first glance it is easy for a person to misunderstand Solomon. After reading the chapters of the great cedars send down from Tyre, the extravagant carvings on the three-story Temple, and encasing everything/decorating in gold, one wonders if Solomon doesn't struggle with his riches. Maybe all his wealth is going to his head, making Him completely misunderstand who the Lord really is?

I'm going for a "no" on that one. Look more closely at the passage. Verse 5 indicates that there were so many animals sacrificed in worship that no one could count them all. Many times in his lofty prayer, Solomon asks the Lord to show His faithfulness to Israel again and again. He speaks about love of the Lord's decrees. He institutes a seven-day festival just to dedicate the Temple as he marveled that the eternal God who cannot be contained by the heavens would actually choose to dwell in the (relatively) humble Temple of Jerusalem.

Solomon wasn't caught up in riches (at least not at this point). Solomon was consumed with a zealous love for God. When was the last time I gave myself, my talents, my money, my dreams, my ambitions, my hopes, my longings, my secrets so much to the Lord that people couldn't recount all I had given? When was the last time I prayed for the Lord to reveal His faithfulness instead of praying for a new car? When was the last time I actually praised God for His decrees, declaring my willingness to obey His every word? When was the last time I threw a party to celebrate some awesome mystery of our Lord?

Perhaps if I spent less time judging Solomon (and modern-day Solomons whose extravagant worship and buildings seem a little "much") and more time drawing near to the Lord, then I might not be able to help myself but worship extravagantly because He would draw near to me.

No comments: