14 June 2006

Too Much Today

There's too much to write about this morning! I'll do my best not to go overboard.

The story of the man of God in 1 Kings 13 has never sat well with me. I decided to ask the Lord about it today. Why would He send a man of God with His message, show His power through the man of God, and punish Him for listening to the lies of the old prophet? Why would the man of God be held responsible for the old prophet tracking him down and bringing him into his home to disobey God's exact command? The Lord opened my eyes to something new today, though. The man of God had specific instructions from the Lord. He delivered the message to king Jeroboam, and the Lord's power was displayed. What was it in the second half of the Lord's message (not to eat or drink in Bethel) did the man of God not believe? The man of God ignored the Lord simply because the older prophet coaxed him. The nameless man of God was obviously hungry, and he was distracted that someone else could be a prophet in such an evil place. He wasn't following after God, even after God had proven Himself powerfully. That is why the man of God died. To let him live would have spoken as loud a message to the people of Bethel as splitting the pagan altar and shriveling the king's hand.

More briefly, read through Psalm 132 once or twice. It's almost too obvious to point out, but I am really blessed to read a prophetic psalm that clearly points to Jesus! Especially verse 17: "Here I will increase the power of David; my anointed one will be a light for my people." Praise the Lord!

5 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

Good thoughts, Lynn. Here's a sermon on the text you mentioned. Quite insightful, I think! http://www.fulcrum-anglican.org.uk/articles.cfm?year=2004

Oliver O'Donovan: THe Way of the Word.

Unknown said...

wow Lynn, you are a posting machine of late...

Erskine said...

Well, Kristi, the Lord has laid a lot on my heart. I also felt in the past week that this is a good medium for spiritual reflection. It's encouraged me a lot this week! I'll try to keep it up. :)

As for you, AP, I honestly can't tell you what an encouragement you are to me. I'm not sure how you have so much time on the web, but your links often challenge me. That sermon is well worth the time and has left me prayerfully reflective about my work for Him. Thanks for keeping me on my toes in Christian love.

Aaron Perry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aaron Perry said...

it's that kind of sermon that spurs my passion for preaching. i love hearing that sermon and then beginning to work through some of its implications--like you have here, and opening people's eyes (and showing how they can read with the same eyes!) to the radical nature of Scripture.