10 June 2006

Two Things This Time

1) Proverbs 16:32 says that it is better for a person to have self-control than to conquer a city. Some days I think it's not only better to have self-control, but it's also harder. I've never tried conquering a city, but it's pretty easy to wield around my "power." It's pretty easy to become defensive, sending my quips back onto other people. It's pretty easy to make my problems about other people. It's pretty easy to judge people by assumptions, taking the offensive to bring them down. Yet, to control my defensive, biting, problematic, judgmental self is more difficult than I can write. How good it is to have God's grace and mercy! May His Holy Spirit continue to flow in me for the production of His fruit (Gal 5:22-23)!

2) The next verse says, "We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall." This is true for me for two reasons. First, I received some news this morning that leaves me with mixed emotions. A brother in Christ I was only getting to know passed away this weekend. I didn't know him well, but somehow I had a connection with him that has left me emotional all day. I'm comforted that He's eternally in the Lord's care in perfect glory, but my world is still a little shaken. Second, I am not so sure about our plans after Natasha's internship. We've contemplated staying put because the church is great. I've been accepted to continue my master's degree at MacDiv. I've also had the first encouraging and exciting conversation I've ever had with a pastor this week about worship ministry. Any of these directions will be a mental shift, and none was expected even three months ago. This verse is true because God is unpredictable. This verse is also true, reminding me that we can rest in His consistency. Bless Him forever!

1 comment:

jen said...

I was wondering, what are you doing while Natasha's on internship? One thing's for sure, Bethany won't be anything like the same without you. We're all going to be feeling the loss come September.