23 June 2006

No Control

Despite all my best efforts, it is almost impossible to control what I say. I've heard and believed that I should watch what I say, tame my tongue, or however you want to put it. Sometimes I do well. Usually I don't. Usually I end up saying things that are unnecessary, confusing, or even hurtful. When I get excited I often talk over people without realizing it.

Reading Psalm 141 this morning reminded me of my talking habits. David begins by asking the Lord to hurry to him, to heed his cry for help. Before he says anything else, he prays in verse 3, "Take control of what I say, O Lord, and guard my lips. Don't let me drift twoard evil...." He put it perfectly. What we say needs to be under control, lest we drift toward evil.

The rest of the psalm asks for help from David's enemies, but I don't think it's a mistake that David asked for the Lord's control over his speech before asking for anything else from the Lord. David and I are a lot alike in that neither of us has been able to watch what we say. If told to control our own tongues, both of us have fallen prey talking out of turn - or even simply for the sake of talking. Like David, my prayer is, "Take control of my what I say, O Lord, and guard my lips." If my mouth, like the rest of me, is under the Lord's control, then the things I say won't threaten to drift me toward evil!

Lord, I've said it before, and I'll declare it anew today: I am yours. Especially my mouth. Take control of what I say. My efforts to watch my mouth are nothing unless you guard my lips. As I choose to follow you today, I trust in your power to keep words of life on my mouth, so that I can speak your truth to everyone I encounter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good, Lynn, so good. In the past I was one with quite a critical tongue which needed complete and total submission unto the Lord. Praise Him, He has mended that horrendous crack in this imperfect vessel, and He regularly reminds me to use this tongue to speak life, and to SPEAK when necessary.

In a party mode note: Breakfast Birthday Party, Our house, Saturday a.m. for the Princess of the House. 9-11. You and Natasha are high on her list of must-haves...if you can, we'd love to have you! You can wear your Polka-dot God pants...you know, the ones with the tassles.

Angela said...

Thank you Lynn for the reminder. I will tag myself as another member of this unrully (sp) tongue club. God has worked wonders in me over the past several years, yet it is so easy to still speak too quickly at times. May God continue to help us both learn to submit to the Spirit's gentle, but firm hand on our tongue.