17 June 2006

Something We Never Expected

I think I'm a lot like the Jewish Christians in Acts 11. After the conversion of Cornelius and his household, the Jewish Christians weren't very happy that Peter had spent time eating in the home of a Gentile. After all, no Jew would remain holy after eating with a Gentile, let alone being in one's home. Their faith in Christ was the fulfillment (not the abolishment) of their Jewish faith, so it only made sense to them that they should stay away from Gentiles. I would've been the same. There are several "proper" things about Christianity that, if challenged, would cause me to bring many things or people into question.

Of course, the Jewish believers began praising the Lord for changing the rules when they heard Peter's testimony. The Gentiles were baptized in the name of Jesus and by the Holy Spirit, just like the Jews. Instead of questioning how that could be or assuming that Peter was off his rocker, the Jewish Christians embraced the change they couldn't understand. They saw that repentance and the infilling of the Holy Spirit is a privilege of following Christ, not just a requirement for Jews who wanted to convert. They worshiped God for "changing" things. This is where I'm not so sure i'm like the Jewish Christians. I don't necessarily feel challenged on anything in my faith right now, but when I do, how will I respond?

Here's the most interesting thing of all. The whole time I read Acts 11 I had this sneaking suspicion that we Christians are on the threshold of something like this. I have the impression that the Holy Spirit is going to move in such a way that we're going to be left having to choose to worship the Father in Jesus's name or to become stubborn. The stubborn first century Christians were Judaizers, people who tried to make everyone comply with Jewish laws before coming to Christ. These were also enemies of the Gospel in many respects. When the Holy Spirit sweeps across the continent and world with this new thing, I pray that my spirit will be quickened to respond in worship instead of antagonism.

3 comments:

JHW said...

Can't wait to see...hope I'm ready

Heather Durkee said...

I thought of you today as Sears delivered our appliances. They are so sweet I can't beleive it. However, the Kenmore Elite were too high stack in our laundry room so they are side by side.

They are also in Graphite which rocks!

Erskine said...

Okay, you guys have really quality appliances that I know we can't afford right now, Heather. Praise the Lord for providing you with the right appliances to make a good start! (It's very strange to know what I'm talking about right now.)