05 July 2006

Safely Laying

I found peace this morning in the verse, "I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me" (Psalm 3:3). These words resonate in me this morning because it perfectly depicts the security I have in the Lord.

To my knowledge, I'm not under physical attack. Still, life often involves some strenuous circumstances. Laying down at night often becomes that quiet time when we reflect about who we are, what we've done, where we're going, and so on. I can remember a time when laying my head down at night wasn't always comforting. I'd replay the argument I just had with my parents. I'd consider whether or not I should break up with the girl who just asked me to move in with her (back in high school). Even worse, sometimes I'd revisit the things I said or the glory I took right before hearing an unbeliever say, "I thought he was a Christian."

I'm past many of these harrowing nights now, but now I can be tempted with thoughts like, "I wonder how I can pay the car insurance this month - before next month's payment is due;" or, "Instead of accepting money from my family to go see them, why don't they use their own money to come see me?" or, "I'd like to give a piece of my mind." Sometimes we think, "Okay, so the Lord wants me over there. What can I do to get myself there?" Other times it's, "You know, I think could really use this verse from 1 Cor 13. They seem to be struggling with unconditional love." This could go on forever.

At the end of the day, it's much more comforting to be able to lay down in peace because God is watching over us. We know that He's gone before us in our life circumstances, so we can fix our eyes on Him and believe we'll get through. He's understood financial constraints, family angst, even physical attack! Remember today that the Lord is watching over us. Allow your heart to soar because you laid down last night, woke up safely this morning, and have read a post reminding you that He is the cause of it all!

No comments: