30 July 2006

Salvation Full and Free

I've thought about salvation a lot since I've been a Christian. (Add Bible college and seminary class to the mix and I end up with more salvation thoughts than I probably need.) I'm glad to say, "I'm saved!" After all, it's because of Jesus's life, death, and resurrection that I can sit in this apartment, typing in freedom. I am assured that I will live eternally with the Lord because Jesus's bloodshed purified me, while His resurrection brought me new life! Halleljuah!

Yet, I've often pondered passages like Romans 13 (there are many) that talk about the "day of salvation." In other words, there is a future day that will come wherein we will have salvation full and free. If this is the way it's handled, can I say I'm saved? I think so. I think salvation is one of the many spiritual realities that is fulfilled already but is not yet fulfilled. (How's that for paradoxical - just like the Lord, isn't it?) I mean that the work for salvation is already done, and those who believe on the One the Father sent are participating in the work of salvation (cf. John 6:29). The fulfillment of salvation "full and free" will come on the great and terrible day of the Lord, the day of the Son of Man, the day of salvation. On that day Christ will come in final victory, and we'll be free of present struggles that seek to threaten our faith. Freedom will have new meaning when we are in heaven with glorified bodies, praying perfectly, worshiping perfectly, and living perfectly. I can't wait!!

Oh, yeah - Romans 13 also gives us some good advice. Until the day of salvation, clothe yourselves with the presence of Christ. Can God's goodness get any better? We can clothe ourselves in Christ!! (Laura, I strongly suggest that this be added to our Blessed Clothing line.)

No comments: