03 July 2006

What Are You Waiting For?

Paul gave testimony to his conversion and calling in Acts 22. His response to Christ was one of awe and wonder. Ananias, who helped Paul regain his sight (in more ways than one), asked Paul a great question in verse 16. The NLT records him asking, "What are you waiting for?" There was no reason for Paul to wait to be baptized and move into God's plan. King Josiah's reign, recorded in 2 Kings 22 - 23, are another great example of someone for whom there was no reason to wait to launch into God's plan.

Perhaps the greatest reason we often wait to move into God's plan is a nagging feeling of, "Are you sure this is right?" Many of us hear God's plan and begin immediately to rationalize it or assume that the plan isn't a "right now" thing. For example, some people with whom I used to work would tell me they knew they needed ministry training, but they wanted to take a year off first. Some would say, "You know, I was in an emotionally charged meeting, and I think my commitment was emotional." Others would say, "That's a good idea, but I need something to fall back on in case ministry falls through." Even in "real life," we tend to say things like, "My job won't allow for that," or, "I really look forward to that spiritual experience whenever that happens (later)."

The problem here is that we can justify this very easily. We all know someone who should've thought logically about a "spiritual" experience (that wasn't spiritual at all). We also know people who sense something God is doing and try to force His hand. We need to recognize this for what it is, though - justification. Like I wrote earlier, we can justify things very easily. It doesn't matter whether a person is brand-new in the faith or whether one has known Christ for decades; God's grace allows us to recognize His voice. His voice is the one that is still and small, yet commanding and powerful. It is the voice that thunders in His perfect peace. It is the voice of One whose jealous love leads to joyful correction and humbling encouragement. It is the voice for which we long and which we fear. It is the voice of the One who directs our path, even when we've made plans. It is the voice of the One who draws us ever closer to Him so we can know Him better and live as people whose hearts are truly His. Have you heard this voice?

If so, what are you waiting for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lynn...I needed this post today. I've been putting off something that the Lord told me to do a long time ago. It's so true..initially I was sure sure sure that God spoke it to me. But as I allowed time to pass, it became easier and easier to question if it was really Him in the first place. Thanks for reminding me to trust and obey.